Saturday, February 21, 2015

Book Blogger Love-A-Thon Q&A

Hey Everyone! I'm so excited to be taking part in this amazing project! Who doesn't like a bit of love?

Time to kick things off with a...

QUESTIONNAIRE
  1. What's your name?
    My name is Alex

  2. Where in the world are you blogging from?
    I'm from Dallas, TX

  3. How did you get into blogging?
    I got into blogging through my lovely and amazing friend Gaby of Queen Ella Bee Reads/Bookish Broads!

  4. How did you come up with your blog name?
    My blog title originates from a book actually. One of my favorite books is Frenchman's Creek by Daphne du Maurier. It's about a woman nurturing her need for freedom from an oppressive life by falling in love with the Captain of a pirate ship, the La Mouette. Now, for the linguistically challenged (like me) la mouette is French for seagull. The book truly spoke to me and, dare I say it, changed my perspective on certain things, including what it means to be free and happy. It also intensified my undying love for pirates. I used LaMouette for all my screennames for a long time, so when I started this blog I had to use Seagulls. Had to. And then Semantics sounded good with it! Ta-da!

  5. What genre do you read and review the most on your blog?
    Since by blog is new, I haven't reviewed many books yet. As for most read genre - FANTASY! I looove fantasy.

  6. What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews?
    Again, blog is new, but at some point I'd like to blog more about writing - my writing, my process, etc. etc.

  7. Best blogging experience so far?
    Well, hopefully it will be this Love-A-Thon!

  8. Favorite thing about the blogging community?
    PEOPLE ARE SO NICE! And I don't have a lot of friends to talk books with, especially YA books, my one true loves, so I'm hoping to find people I can just go crazy with.

  9. Name the 5 books you're most excited for this 2015

  10. What's an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read?
    Well, I'm not sure if it's underrated as much as I don't see people talking about it as much I'd like. Kelly Creagh's Nevermore series is fantastic. It's a YA retelling of all things Edgar Allen Poe. The characters are engaging, the prose is beautiful, and everyone should read it. 

  11. Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF?
    I think Celaena Sardothien - from Sarah Maas's Throne of Glass - and I could be besties... once we both got past our massive trust issues; Francesca from Melina Marchetta's Saving Francesca; Lucien from Sarah Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses; Mal from Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone; Isobel from Kelly Creagh's Nevermore.

    At least... I WANT THEM TO BE MY FRIENDS.

  12. Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies and interests?
    Well, I'm a writer. Does TV count as a hobby? Marathoning TV shows and movies is one of my favorite pass-times. I play Candy Crush more than anyone should. I loooove puzzles, especially Thomas Kinkade puzzles, especially Thomas Kinkade Disney puzzles. I collect pokemon cards and obsess over Disney all the time.

  13. Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for?
    Pokemon cards.
    pokemon master

  14. At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song - and it's your song. What song would be playing?
    ANBERLIN. They are my favorite band. Anything by them. But if I had to choose (as depressing as the song is) it would be (*fin).

  15. Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TV show you want turned into a book.
    The Throne of Glass series. But I don't want a film, because then they'd have to cut out a bunch of stuff. A TV mini-series that's like 50 episodes long would be amazing and I'd never stop watching. EVER.

23 comments :

  1. Great story about the origin of your blog name. Welcome to the blogging world, where, yes, everyone is so nice. Of course IRL I'm a total impatient bitch. Really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a coincidence - me too! I think the internet has a soothing effect on my psyche.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love the blog name, it's rare to hear of people knowing more Daphne du Maurier than just Rebecca or Jamaica Inn. A Throne of Glass TV series would be fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I feel so sorry for those who limit their du Maurier experience to those two books. They are amazing books, but that woman is brilliant in every novel that I've read.

      Delete
  3. Have a great weekend with the LoveAThon! I hope you get to meet lots more nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I visited your blog and got to know you a bit more! I think you'll discover so many fantastic books and new friends during your blogging journey. I am a big fantasy fan, and there are just so many wonderful fantasy titles out there--it's sometimes overwhelming! Enjoy the Love-a-Thon! -Katie @ Bookish Illuminations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Don't mind me, I might just go stalk your goodreads page.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to blogging and the Love-A-Thon! It's such a fun community, you're going to love it! And I absolutely ADORE your blog name, loved reading about how you got it :)
    My first comment had a typo and the grammar nerd in me freaked out haha!
    Cassie @ Happy Book Lovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Daphne du Maurier is a goddess with words.

      And I completely understand. Completely :P

      Delete
  7. FANTASY! I've only just started really falling in love with fantasy in 2014, but I want to read them ALL!

    Queen of Shadows and Truthwitch are two books I am so excited for also! I haven't read any of Susan Dennard's books yet but I have heard nothing but great things, and her newest one just sounds AWESOME!

    I love puzzles also! I've just recently started loving them again so it's excited to hear that someone else loves them also!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! I really fell in love with Fantasy because of Throne of Glass. There was always Harry Potter, but TOG pushed me over the edge. I love Sarah's books sooo much.

      You must must must read Susan's books! I read Something Strange and Deadly right after Throne of Glass, and it was definitely part of what pushed me in the reading world. It's an incredible series, but I'm also getting the feeling that Truthwitch is going to be even better. CANNOT WAIT!

      hahaha, I'm almost obsessive about puzzles. One of my ideas of a perfect day is doing a puzzle while blasting Anberlin. Add some wine to that and I couldn't be happier. :P

      So great to meet you!

      Delete
  8. Throne of Glass is perfection <3 I would seriously be obsessed if there was ever going to be a TV show, AND if it was done right! Also, I'd like to be besties with Celaena too - she'd always have my back in a pinch ;)

    Thanks for joining the Love-a-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone messed up a Throne of Glass adaptation, I feel like the fandom would go Celaena on their asses. Like the person who messed it up would be seen as the King of Adarlan (no pressure, hollywood). BUT no matter what, we'd all go see it a million times to support Sarah.

      Thank you for hosting, Alexa. You have been incredible, inspiring, too many complimentary words to list!

      Delete
  9. You know, I should really read the Never more books. I am very fascinated by Poe, so I suspect I would like it. Thanks! Oh, and best of luck in your blogging journey! You'll love it! #TexasPride

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeessss. Nevermore blew all of my expectations out of the water. the writing is beautiful. And you're lucky because the last book is coming out this summer after a three year hiatus! The wait has been agonizing!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Assembling puzzles make me feel so zen...up until I realize that I'm missing one or two pieces :(

    A lot of people are choosing the Throne of Glass series as a book they'd love to see turned into a movie (or 50 episode mini-series). I have not read it yet, but it's becoming increasingly clear that this needs to change ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? One of my favorite things in the world is doing a puzzle and blasting Anberlin, singing at the top of my lungs.

      There is no book that I can recommend more strongly than the Throne of Glass series. Though, I will be honest, if you can hold out for as long as possible then binge read them, you might end up slightly more sane than the rest of us!

      Delete
  11. You have such a pretty colours on your blog! I love it :) The explanation behind your blog name is really cool. I love it when someone really thought about their name. Queen of shadows, Truthwitch and The raven King, I do like your taste in books. Nice to meet you!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Being a Disney and Harry Potter freak, I'm quite fond of your themes, too!

      Ahhh, I love it when a book recommends a person! It's wonderful to meet you as well.

      Delete
  12. OH MY GOD I LOOOOOVE ANBERLIN. (*fin) is one of my favourite songs ever. It's so gooood. I'm so sad that they've disbanded. ;___; Although I've tried giving their last album a listen and it hasn't really caught my attention at all unlike their previous albums. :| Maybe I should give it another go.

    I really like your blog name! It's very cool and different.

    Oooh, I should check out Nevermore! :D

    Cynthia @ Afterwritten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOOOOD ANOTHER ANBERLIN FAN!!! This makes me so HAPPY! Did you get to go to one of their final shows?? I went to the one here in Dallas and it was incredible, one of the best nights of my life. DEFINITELY give Lowborn another go! It's one of my favorite albums along with Cities and Vital/Devotion. EEEEE, this is just so exciting!

      Delete