Sunday, February 1, 2015

Crossing the Finish Line Reading Challenge

Hello. My name is Alex Ray, and I have a problem - I buy more books than I can possibly read.

So, here are some statistics. I currently have a list (because I like lists) of all the books I have pre-ordered from Amazon. As the books arrive in, I delete them from said list. Right now, for 2015, I have pre-ordered 31 books. That number includes anticipatory pre-orders like Truthwitch, Starbound #3, and Raven Cycle # 4, which haven't yet appeared on Amazon for me to pre-order (btw, WINTER BY MARISSA MEYER JUST APPEARED! go forth and pre-order!).

But here's the problem - I won't read all of those books. Not in 2015, anyway. This is especially problematic for series books.

For example: I bought Marie Lu's Legend and Prodigy a couple of years ago. But my to-be-read list is so MASSIVE that I didn't get to read Legend until a few months ago. I had pre-ordered Champion before then, but when it came in the mail you know what happened? It got shelved, along with the hundreds of other books I haven't read yet. Which SUCKS! Because I loved Legend and I want to read it all, but I can't ever seem to find the time when I'm in the right mood to read that kind of book.

And therein lies another problem - sometimes I'm just not in the mood to read a Dystopian. Sometimes all I want to read is a Contemporary, and then my mood will have a Fantasy swing, then go back to Contemporary before I want to read another Dystopian. That's not the book's fault! But the poor book pays the price and stays shelved for way too long.

Other times, I'm ravenous for a book and just drop everything and read it the moment it shows up on my doorstep. But then there are those occasions when I'm ravenous for two books and they both arrive on my doorstep at the same time. Inevitably, one has to get shelved. Again, that's not the book's fault. It all comes down to what I am more in the mood for at that single moment in time.

Or perhaps the book is dauntingly long and I simply don't have the time to dedicate to reading it. It breaks my heart, but the book gets shelved.

This year, I have decided to combat this issue.

I'm starting the Crossing the Finish Line Challenge. Because there is nothing like a good challenge to kick my butt into action!

For this challenge I will finish 15 series that have been on my shelf waiting patiently for me to read them for way too long.
  1. The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
  2. Newsoul by Jodi Meadows
  3. Legend by Marie Lu
  4. Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier
  5. Skylark by Meagan Spooner
  6. The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
  7. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
  8. False Memory by Dan Krokos
  9. Just One Day by Gayle Forman
  10. The Hybrid Chronicles by Kat Zhang
  11. Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
  12. The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron
  13. Fairytales Retold by Regina Doman
  14. Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce
  15. Old Kingdom by Garth Nix
For many of these, I've read the first book, for some I've also read the second. But the point of this challenge is to FINISH with no ifs, ands, or buts.

WISH ME LUCK!

If you're interested, you can track my progress in the Challenges and Features tab at the top.
No doubt I will have the same challenge in 2016 for half the books on my 2015 pre-order list. Such is life!

No comments :

Post a Comment