Sunday, February 1, 2015

Welcome

HI!

I am so excited to finally be unveiling my new book review blog! It's been a long time in the making, hints of procrastination egged on by self-doubt and all that. BUT HERE IT IS!

I've been thinking about starting a blog for a long time, basically since my dear, lovely friend Gaby started with Queen Ella Bee Reads and now Bookish Broads. But thanks to her and my insatiable need to tell people they must love the same things I do, I decided to just go for it!

So...

WELCOME TO SEAGULLS AND SEMANTICS!

I came up with the title to match the concept of this blog. See, I don't only want to talk about other people's books, I want to sometimes talk about my own writing, too. I wanted this to be place for freedom of ideas and words; and, to me, nothing represents freedom like seagulls. When I read Daphne du Maurier's Frenchman's Creek for the first time, I was struck by how she portrayed freedom aboard the pirate ship La Mouette. It's since been my life symbol of sorts.

*moment of deep thought*

Anyway! This year is going to be interesting. Already I'm seeing the struggle forming between reading, writing, blogging, and working (you know, at like a day job). Annnnd we're only 17 days in. I'm hoping that will change once my temp job ends in February. Then I'll be able to throw myself fully into the other three, more appealing options.

This year I've set up a few challenges for myself.

1. GOODREADS READING CHALLENGE
I've challenged myself to read 80 books this year. Last year I sprinted and read tons of novellas to make it to 85, so I thought I should tame it down, just a bit, for this year. It shouldn't be too difficult, considering the other two challenges in which I am partaking...
2. FLIGHTS OF FANTASY CHALLENGE
Hosted by Alexa and Rachel of Alexa Loves Books and Hello, Chelly respectively, I've challenged myself to read 35 fantasy novels this year. With fantasy being my favorite genre, I don't see this being too grueling.
image
3. CROSSING THE FINISH LINE CHALLENGE
This is a challenge I created myself to help me finish a bunch of book series that I have been putting off for no other reason than my to-be-read shelf is absurdly long. So, this year I have challenged myself to finish 15 series.

If you are interested in tracking my progress, check out the Challenges and Features link at the top of the page.

I think that is all I have to say for now, except -
THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY, AND I HOPE TO SEE YOU AROUND! Please feel free to contact me in any of the social media outlets mentioned in the sidebar.

My twitter handle is @lazulli21, and I'd love to hear from y'all about anything, whether it's related to this blog or not!

image

- Alex

No comments :

Post a Comment