Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Childhood Books I'd Like to Revisit


I have a confession to make - I didn't read all that much as a child. Personally, I like to blame school for totally ruining the experience for me, but honestly I just didn't know what I was missing and I wasn't curious enough to find out.

So, I only have 7 books to share with y'all today, but they were honestly some of my favorite books as a child and I would love to re-read them at some point when my TBR list isn't blowing up (i.e. I don't foresee this actually happening).

ella enchantedwitch of blackbird pondjohnny tremain

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
This book still, to this day, remains one of my all time favorite reads. I mean... ARGH IT'S PERFECT!

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
I don't know what it was about this book, but it has stuck in my brain since. It's probably Nat. No wait, it's definitely because of Nat. I love that boy. He was my first sailor/pirate.

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
I'm a little weird. You see, this book gave me HUGE crushes on pretty much all the Revolutionary War historical figures. Yes, I would swoon for Sam Adams. I am not ashamed of this. Anyway... I think it was while reading this book that I started "shipping." I know that wasn't the point of this particular reading assignment, but JOHNNY AND CILLA FOREVER! Screw you, Rab (even though I love you as a character *hugs*)!

harry pottershadow of the bearrebeccathe host

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
If this isn't on everyone's list, I call BS!

The Shadow of the Bear | Black as Night by Regina Doman
I adooooore Doman's fairytale retold series, but the first two books in particular are two of my favorites and dear God I wish I had the time to reread them. I'm Catholic, and the religious themes in these two books speak to that huge part of me in a way that most other books I read simply can't.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
I read this book in 7th grade, and in retrospect I was probably too young to FULLY appreciate its brilliance then. But when I reread it in college... OMG. Daphne du Maurier had such an important influence on me; she helped shape the writer I am today. I NEED to read more of her books (as of now, I've only read four *shamed*)

The Host by Stephenie Meyer
I will never call myself a Twi-hater. Not by a long shot. But I will jump on the bandwagon that says THE HOST IS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. Like, WHOA. I swear, I read this book FOUR times in a week when in first came out. A WEEK! I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it is a mammoth of a book. A week! Don't judge this book by the movie. The movie was pure hell to watch because it did not do the book justice (but the music was gorgeous and now I'm going to go watch it).


What books were special to your childhood?


3 comments :

  1. Nice list of books for TTT post! I haven't read any of the titles.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/03/top-10-books-from-my-childhood-or-teen.html

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete