Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

everything everything
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
Released: September 1st  2015
Publisher:Delacorte Books
Source: ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Goodreads | Amazon

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.
 

I started this book late at night, not expecting to get too far into it, just trying to catch up on my netgalley reading while waiting to fall asleep. But then I couldn't stop, and I had to force myself to put it down because I had somewhere to be early in the morning. I kept thinking about it and getting antsy to get back to reading about Maddy, and then I had an 8 hr drive home... and no matter the motion sickness I usually get from reading in the car, I HAD to continue reading.

Maddy's story was one that touched my heart because her voice was so pure and innocent and unadulterated by the anger and resentment that so many YA narrators have. It was... refreshing. And even when Olly came into her life and showed her all the things she was missing out on, all the things that should make her envious and resentful, she never wavered from her good nature.

Now, as a fantasy nerd, my mind almost immediately started shouting at me that this story was like a contemporary retelling of Rapunzel (a la Disney, mind you, minus Gothel). And in many ways it is! Maddy is locked inside her house, never able to leave, and then Olly jumps into her life and gives her, not the desire to leave, but a reason to.

The narrative style was perfect for this story. It doesn't have traditional style chapters, but many short chapters, some even consisting of demonstrative pictures. It was so easy to read and SO EASY to get caught up in. I thought it might be difficult to show the development of Maddy and Olly's relationship that way, but it WORKED, and it was so purely Maddy.

I am so glad that I read Everything, Everything, and I recommend this book entirely, especially to fans of Gayle Forman's If I Stay. This is the story of a sick girl who is given the opportunity to stop seeing herself as sick, to stop settling, and instead LIVE life like it's meant to be lived.


No comments :

Post a Comment